Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An Introduction...

When I was a child I dreamed of becoming a well-known writer. I was going to write wonderful stories full of adventure, facinating people, and great heroic women. You know... fiction. Many of the papers I had to write for school began to take on these qualities. More than once I was called in to discuss my latest paper with an order to "Stick to the assigned topic and guidelines if you want a decent grade." As you might expect, my tendency to let my mind soar eventually dulled, and I became the "model" student writing only what was expected.

I did well in school, and life continued but it did not even faintly resemble my childhood dreams. Not that it was bad; just that I don't remember making many conscious decisions about my life or the direction it took. Now that I look back on it, I realize that I did make some crucial decisions and many of the adventures I have had, as well as many of the heartaches I have had are a direct result of decisions that were made with little or no thought.

I would like the opportunity to write down some of these adventures, and maybe some of the heartaches. As you will see, many of the activities I have had the opportunity to enjoy are the result of "knee jerk" reactions to outside stimuli. Somehow it seems that those moments that I think about and actions that I "practice" never seem to come about. However, I often find myself in situations where I think I have to act quickly, and the result is usually unpredictable to this rather unsophistocated individual.

I hope you will find these entries to your liking. Some may be entertaining, others may contain a lesson or moral that was very important to me, and may strike a chord with you. I know that my life is not deep, and these thoughts probably will not be deep either. They are the result of sixty plus years of living a relatively uneventful life with moments of magic and wonder, and moments of deep sorrow and pain.

No comments: