Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Goal is realized... A Mission Call....

Each year the bishop sits with me during the annual Tithing Settlement and we discuss goals. How did I do on the goals for this year? What are my goals for next year? What are my long term goals? You know the drill I am sure. I think this is a very important exercise, and I take it very seriously.

For the last couple of years my long term goal has been to serve a mission. At times it seemed that I had set a very unrealistic goal. I am not able to support myself for a typical mission. All of my savings is gone and I will be working as long as absolutely possible. My health is not the best. In fact, I have so much trouble breathing that I think twice about simple vacations. Additionally, I have my mother, and her support, to think of. That is not a negative, it is just a fact. So, how did I think I would ever be in a position to serve a mission? The desire was still there and very strong. I knew that if I prayed long enough, looked hard enough, and asked my Heavenly Father for the strength and blessing of serving a mission that something would happen; and it has.

Several months ago I received an email from the Church Family History Department about the new family history website. The email stated that there are mission opportunities available to help support the new site. These are very unique opportunities. You serve from home; you serve 16 - 30 hours a week at a schedule you determine. Therefore, I can still work my regular job and still fill a mission working nights and weekends as a technical support person for the new website. I spent almost a month working with the Family History Department to get my browser up to speed, determine my system's capacity to hold the programs, arrange for training, and determine which products I will be able to support. Given my time constraints, late evenings, it is pretty evident that the majority of the patrons I will serve will be outside of the mainland; Australia, New Zeland, Hawaii, Alaska....

As I picked up the mail this morning, I found my mission call. I am almost shaking with excitment. This is a long term goal that I am actually accomplishing. My training starts August 4th. It is official! I will be set apart as a missionary and I will have a badge and everything. Mostly I will have the opportunity to share one of my passions, family history, with the world. I will be able to help others access and use this wonderful new site. I will be serving. I will be in the service of my God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY Mom!!! =)
Love you!!